Thursday, March 3, 2011

Do you think in 3D?

The building industry is changing so fast these days that even when we make a conscious effort to keep up, new and innovative ideas still seem to slip through the cracks.  For me, 3D modeling was one of those things.  I had tried it once before, but it didn't stick.  Then after bringing in a new hire for our bookwork side of things, she reintroduced the concept to me.  This time I was determined to learn it, and though I knew it was going to be a painful process, I also knew that it was the future of home design.  This time it clicked and each and every day, I am learning more and more ways to make it work for our company as well as our clients. 

Most people don't think in 3 dimensions...it's the depth aspect we have trouble with.  In my opinion, depth is just as important as the height and width, but unfortunately it gets overlooked.  With 3D modeling, we have been able to show our clients almost exactly how their home or remodel project will look before a single permit is pulled or any concrete is poured.  They are able to walk through the design, pick out interior wall colors, hardwood or tile colors, all upfront.  It has truly been an amazing way to connect with our clients.

As a designer, it has been an invaluable tool, and a lot of frustration has been averted.  I can't tell you how many times, I've gotten "This guy's an idiot" look, when I try to explain what my vision was for a particular area.  Actually, I would prefer to have our people do the framing conventionally, and then I would go in for a day and do my little tweaks....a soffit here, a built in there, a cloud, an accent wall.  Yes, I said soffit, we're bringing them back!  Anyway, that way the design elements would get accomplished with little aggravation from employees.  Now, all I have to do is draw it in 3D, slap a few dimensions on it and they can run with it.

From landscaping to foundations, our ability to showcase our design work in height and width and now in that elusive depth has been incredibly helpful in in working with clients as well on our own designs.  Builders, designers, you better jump on board, because 3D is here to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment